Saturday, September 13, 2008

Forget Jerks...Chicks Dig Shoes

The Suicide awareness march went well. I was moved by the amount of people and their strength in willing to publicly face down an issue with a lot of stigma attached to it. I was also really inspired by the people at the agency where I work for all the effort and time they put into organizing the march.

Of course, it wouldn't be my blog if I didn't comment on at least one funny thing.

One of the things the agency did was take donations of shoes and then set them out on display as a reminder of the people we've lost through suicide. The shoes were donations not the shoes of actual people who killed themselves (I feel I need to make that clear or the humour might be lost).

As we were setting up the shoes before the event, at least three or four times I heard one of my female co-workers say: "Oooh, these are cute."

Usually followed by, "I wonder what size they are."

I said they should leave their shoes and take the ones they wanted.

For the record, we all left the event wearing the same shoes we started in, but it was a near thing in a couple cases.


Upcoming Comedy
Monday, September 29 - The Comic Strip, Edmonton

Upcoming Living Columns in the Edmonton Journal
Friday, September 19
Friday, October 3
Current Living article is up here.

Dan's musings on shyness and relationships can be found at hotchicksandstrangers.blogspot.com

No comments: