Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Dream Come True

Upcoming Comedy
Saturday, April 1 - The Legion, Stettler
Saturday, April 8 - Yuk Yuks, Edmonton
Sunday, April 9 - The Comic Strip
Wednesday, April 12 - The Comic Strip
Friday, April 21 - Student Distress Centre Fundraiser
Saturday, April 26 - Legion, Red Deer

Upcoming Writing
Living Articles in the Edmonton Journal (subjects to be announced)
March 31
April 14 - (Subjects to be announced)
April 28

Dan Brodribb's headLINES appears every Saturday in the ed magazine supplement to the Edmonton Journal

-Well, a dream came true last night, as I got to guest spot on a show featuring MITCH FATEL, who is a really big influence on me. Watching Mitch shows you that there is room for people with their own voice. Thanks go to LARS CALLIEOU for lobbying to get me on stage and to RICK BRONSON for allowing it. I was told there wouldn't be guest spots so I showed up completely underdressed (I mean I had clothes on, but not stage clothes). I'm sure I've written in a previous entry how important it is to always have your 'working boots' with you. I should take my own advice.

-Did the photo shoot for next months Journal articles. I'm especially nervous about the one appearing in the article at the end of April. I think we got a pretty good view of the inside of my nostrils. But the photo guy liked the lighting so guess which one's the keeper. Sigh.

-Monday amateur night at The Comic Strip was great, not just for the comedy, but because so many guys came down that I don't get a chance to see anymore. I've always been a bit of a loner, but I do appreciate that there are some great guys (and gal--Kathleen McGee) trying to make it locally. The highlight of the night for me was MAX MAULT (I believe I may have told the infamous 'Max Mault Rye & Coke Incident' in an earlier entry'), who toned down his usual histrionics to do some jokes. It's great to see comics who are unafraid to grow and evolve. Max also gave me a little pep talk after the show, about how he'd watched me develop over the time I've been doing comedy. His words meant a lot, because it's easy to lose sight of how far you've come, when all you're focused on is where you are or where you want to be.

No comments: