Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Latest News

Upcoming Gigs:

Friday, September 2 - Yuk Yuks (co-middling)
Saturday, September 3 Yuk Yuks (co-middling)

Dan Brodribb's headLINES appears every Saturday in the ed magazine supplement to the Edmonton Journal.

-I've been writing a few profiles this month for ed magazine. In addition to singer/songwriter CHRISTINA SCHMOLKE, I've written about a suspension artist/DJ/metal artist named SCOTT "DJ DERVISH" Fox, who will be doing some suspension on August 13 at Dragon FX in Kingsway Mall. For tix, contact bagofskin@gmail.com To see a sneak preview, check Scott out at www.lanejensen.com. I'm also working on an article about "YOUNG LION" BOBBY SHARP the 16 year old wrestling phenom who is the reigning MPW Junior Heavyweight Champion. He'll be defending his title against "ALL STAR" TOM MACDONALD at the MPW Back to School Extravaganza on September 3 (why not go to the show, and then come by Yuk Yuks to watch my comedy--an entertainment double feature). I've seen both Bobby and Tom wrestle, so I think if you're a rasslin' fan (and who isn't?), you should go to www.monsterprowrestling.com and see how you can get tickets.

-I just found out that PAUL MYREHAUG will be the MC on my first two co-middling performances at Yuk Yuks. Paul also was the MC the first night I went on stage doing comedy back in October 2004. Strange, but cool. I hope you're writing this down--this kind of trivia might be worth something some day.

-headLINES should be up in a couple days, with or without commentary (I know, I'm getting lazier--or possibly just less self-indulgent)

-Looks like OLIVIA CHENG is really living her dream--getting raped by DWIGHT YOAKAM. Olivia's got a part as a Chinese prostitute in a movie starring none other than ROBERT DUVALL. She wasn't kidding a few weeks ago when she said she had big things in store. I have to admit to being a bit jealous--after all, I'm a huge Dwight Yoakam fan.

-Incidentally, I caught a couple of great acts at the Folk Fest this year: The WARSAW VILLAGE BAND and RUTHIE FOSTER. If you get a chance to check them out, I'd recommend them. If your of a more metallic slant, BILL GEE made me a compilation disc of some acts, and I'm really digging a group called TRIVIUM.

No comments: